The Peacock Tale

The Peacock Tale

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Surviving holiday feasts and deployment blues

Like Miss Piggy says, "Never eat more then you can lift." Thank you Miss Piggy for those fine words on this 4,000 calorie holiday dinner. (PS It will take 14 hours to burn that off by walking briskly).

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I hope you all are eating healthy portions of your feast and laughing with those you love. Hug a little longer and be in the moment. Sometimes, the moments slip away so quickly, we barely have time to blink. If you are not with your loved ones, I will be thinking of you and so many others separated by miles, war, feuds, disagreements and stubborness.

We probably will celebrate a little bit of Thanksgiving and Saint Patrick's Day. We are eating Corned Beef and Cabbage. There will be a feast, but from Ireland instead of the pilgrims. I am hoping to also squeeze in something Hanukkah, St. Valentine's, Easter and New Years Eve this coming week. It's also my birthday next week and we are hoping to visit the Christmas tree lighting in new york city. :)

Don't get me wrong, I love our country. I love traditions and family gatherings, but right now I am not too happy. How do some families get to be nestled with their loved ones in front of the warm, crackling fire drinking hot cider, eggnog (if you like that) and listening to Christmas carols and our soldiers have to be overseas...alone? Yes, I realized, this is part of the job of protecting our country and those families who are safe at home, but sometimes I do get envious. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment